It’s more greens this week… a personal fave, spinach, procured from our neighbour. I know there’s a lot going around about nettles (Heidi Fink has an excellent recipe), but I wanted to bring this back to the basics. And try the different shape for myself: the triangle fold. (I usually do spanakopita layered in a pan.)
1 bunch spinach, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
cheese, grated Parmesean or crumbled feta
you may also include finely chopped green onions or leeks, but one person of our party is not keen on them
- Plan ahead with phyllo: most comes packaged frozen; be sure to thaw in the fridge overnight
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a pan on medium
- Fry garlic 30-60 seconds until fragrant
- Stir in chopped spinach and wilt until bright green
- Turn off burner, stir in eggs and allow to set slightly, but not cook, so the mixture is less liquidy
- Drop 2-3 tbsp of the mix into the center of two sheets of phyllo pastry and fold up in a triangle pattern
- Place spaced apart on a flat pan and brush with oil
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden; keep an eye on it!
It’s a great day for a picnic as I write this, so we’re taking ours into the outdoors! These are much more portable than the whole pan!